Kid Authors Project
Everyone has a story . . . Especially kids.
Visit the Official Website
As the published author of two middle grade books, I’ve been invited into many elementary schools to talk about writing. Along the way, I’ve met hundreds of children—maybe even your children. So many of them want to know how to come up with story ideas, and how to get those ideas into a book. They want my autograph and to give me a high five because I’m a real, live author. What they don’t know is that they can be a real, live author, too.
Your child wants to see his or her name in a book. Teachers want to ignite a love for words in their students. I want nothing more than to help make both of those things happen because words matter; and, even more than that, your kids matter.
Here’s where you come in:
- I’m looking for kids in grades 1–8 who want to become published authors. If you have a child who falls outside of these grade limits and is interested in participating, please let me know.
- Children must have access to the Internet for communication purposes. Keeping in mind the safety of your children, communication facilitated by a parent or guardian is recommended but not required. At this point, I am the sole leader of this project, so communication would be limited to myself and the other children/parent participants.
During our time together, I will ask your child to participate in a few different writing projects, all of which should be fun and low-pressure. These projects may include:
- Individual stories or poems (possibly from a writing prompt or central idea).
- A collaborative piece, where the group contributes various ideas and votes on the direction of the story; or a story where each child writes a sentence and then passes along to the next child, etc.
- A drawing component, such as illustrations for stories. This could also be an opportunity for kids who aren’t interested writing to contribute their artwork instead.
We're still learning what things work and what don't, so patience is a must. This process will need tweaking and sometimes a complete overhaul if something is not working well. At the end of the program, we will hopefully have a book with your child’s name (and creativity) inside—an accomplishment they will never, ever forget. If you’re in, please REGISTER HERE.
If you’re wondering who in the world I am, you can learn more about me and my writing by browsing the other pages on my website.
For any questions, please contact me through the contact form on my website, or connect with me on Facebook or Twitter.
*Program name is subject to, and undoubtedly will, change.